Sunday, January 10, 2010

If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere

Friday January 8, 2010
After sending my friend's cousin off to school, three of my friends and I caught the bus into New York City. First thing we did after checking into our hotel was go to St. Patrick's Cathedral, marking the second St. Patrick's Cathedral I had been to in a single week. After walking around inside, we saw the Rockefeller Center and walked to the Rockefeller Building, where we took the elevator all the way to the very top.


After we got back down to the street, we walked around for a while, with no set destination. On this walk, we decided to go into the NBC store, where we saw Zachary Levi, who plays Chuck Bartowski on NBC's "Chuck." We then proceeded to walk to Times Square. After a quick walk through Toys 'Я Us, we took a taxi down to Ground Zero. When we got there, we found a huge fence that blocked any view of the site. I then had the idea to try the Hilton across the street, where we found an excellent view from the restaurant on the third floor. Looking at it made it almost impossible to believe that there used to be two huge trade centers there. Before heading over to the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site, I met up with my friends, Liam and Kathleen, who both go to Delaware but were also in the city for the day.

Our next stop was the Brooklyn Bridge, followed by a walk to Chinatown. (yes, we did a lot of walking in NYC). After our walk through Chinatown, and eventually Little Italy, we decided to take the subway back to our hotel and rest before dinner. We ended up ordering delivery and didn't go back out into the city until pretty late.

Saturday January 9, 2010
All of the walking the previous day had tired us all out quite a bit. Nevertheless, our day was not about to be hindered by this.

After breakfast, we took the subway to 57th street and walked to Central Park. I ended up walking the entire length of the park, then the entire width, and back to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, an indirect path about five miles long.

All there was to do now, was eat lunch, drop my friend off at Grand Central Station to take the train to school, and head home. Overall, I'd say this was my favorite trip to New York ever.

1 comment:

  1. New York is the best.
    I just gotta say that.
    I'm jealous you made it up to the park, that's one of my favourite bits.

    ReplyDelete